Sunday, April 6, 2008

Seasoned Salt- Scandal in the Kitchen

What I am about to write would probably get me thrown out of most professional kitchens. Then again, I don't work at any professional kitchens, so they might throw me out for being there anyways. But that's not the point. The point is, I like seasoning salt.

Shocker, eh? Yes, it is. But if put to the right use, seasoning salt can be your best friend. I use Morton's Nature Seasoning (yellow bottle) because it has more pepper than most of the others and just has a great all around taste. So, why use it? Well, seasoning salt is a blend of salt (duh), pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, and a host of other things. I use it to rescue dishes that need to be balanced out, seasoning grilled meat, and in my sausage gravy, just to name a few.

Here is my argument. Seasoning salt is developed by professionals who have used blind taste tests to get the perfect ratio for maximum flavor (cinnamon sugar is made the same way). That is much more than I could EVER possibly come up with. So while I do not use it all the time, it allows me to evenly season my roast chicken with balanced flavor.

So why write about seasoning salt? Because most kitchen cooks should have it in their spice collection. It can save time, effort, and provide you with just the right amount of balance to your dish. Try it, you will never go back, even if it does get you weird looks from restaurant chefs. They don't know what they are missing.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP