Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Garden Update- Rabbit Food

I'm about 2 months into my garden and things are progressing. "Progressing nicely" might be a stretch, mainly because I'm not really getting the total yields I want, but I think that has a lot do with a) this is my first garden and b) the weather can't make up its mind. But I'm actually harvesting veggies, so I really shouldn’t be complaining.

I have two separate gardens going, one a raised bed, and one a converted flower bed (I think that's what it was) that I have most of my herbs and viney things in. The raised bed recently yielded all the radishes it was going to give me, fewer than I expected though. I may have not thinned them enough, understandably, because I hate thinning things, it's like killing a bunch of plants! But they have finished and now I have planted beans in their wake. I'm up to my ears in lettuce now as well. If you have not ever grown your own lettuce, I highly recommend it. It just tastes so much more…lettucy. There is no other way to describe it, really.

I have tomatoes in now, I believe 10 plants. Yes, I do realize that's a lot, but we really like tomatoes. I can't wait for those. And I have a pretty sound herb rotation going as well, something I'm also fond of because having them on hand is easier and cheaper than buying them.

So why write all this? Well, it's nice to show off what I've been doing, sure, but it's also lessons people can use to either avoid or do what I did to better their own garden. I will update again in July, hopefully I can keep the birds and rabbits out until then.

1 comments:

Linda's Yummies June 8, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

Your garden looks great! Everything seems to be growing well. I tried to do a little indoor gardening this year and had to throw out 2 months of hard work. My herb and chili plants had gnats - those little pesky fruit fly looking things. I started them all as seeds too :(

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP