Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Even though it's over, I'm sure Bravo will re-air "Top Chef Masters" a million times between now and tomorrow. If you did not get a chance to watch it, I strongly recommend it. It's everything I loved about Top Chef without the drama and egos of young chefs. And I was so thrilled (spoiler alert) with the winner, not only because he cooks Mexican, but because he has a restaurant in Chicago. Alas, currently getting a reservation at a Rick Bayless restaurant is more difficult to do than the Red Sox actually winning their division (sigh). So I will wait patiently.

In the meantime, I got some great recipe ideas from the show. One was from Michael Chiarello, oven roasted tomatoes. I picked up some tomatoes at the farmer's market and thought this would be a great way to serve them. Not only were they delicious, but they made my house smell SO good! This is actually the topping to the dish in my next post, Risotto with olives and lemon. It's a great sweet contrast to add to pretty much anything, not to mention it's super simple.

Oven Roasted Tomatoes (adapted from Michael Chiarello)

2 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
12 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1/2 cup basil leaves (optional)
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes

Combine gently in a bowl and spread cut on cookie sheet. Put in 275 degree oven and roast for 2 hours. Applications are endless.

4 comments:

Cookin' Canuck August 30, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

I've been looking for something new to do with all of my tomatoes. This is it! I can't wait to make these - it seems as though they'd be so versatile.

Anonymous,  August 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Great recipe. I once saw someone also adding a pinch of sugar to enhance the tomatoey flavour but I quite like this!

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe August 31, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Yummy tomatoes ! Thank you for sharing. Cheers !

Unknown August 31, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

The balsalmic really adds a nice sweetness, I liked its flavor better than just sugar in this application. Though I enjoy putting salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar on raw tomatoes because it really does enhance flavor

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP