Thursday, November 12, 2009

Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes

After the success of my banana pancakes, I decided to twist it a little bit by incorporating my favorite banana accompaniment, peanut butter. Honestly, if scientists could make a banana with a slight peanut butter flavor, I'm thinking it would solve 95% of potassium deficiency in the world. Well, I can dream, right? Same process pretty much as before. Since I was adding peanut butter, I removed some of the butter to compensate for that. I also found out I could probably eat my weight in these.
Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 banana, mashed
2 bananas, sliced thin

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until combined. In a separate bowl combine the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, mashed banana, peanut butter, and butter. Slowly add the wet to the dry and fold using a spatula. Once most of the batter is combined and a few lumps remain, set bowl aside and let rest for 5-10 minutes. If the batter is too thick, add a bit more buttermilk. Batter should be slightly thin but not pourable.

Preheat your griddle or pan to medium-high. Spray with a small amount of cooking spray or butter. Using a scoop or ladle, add small amount of batter to pan. Place sliced bananas in a single layer on the top of each pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes until bottoms are browned. Flip pancakes over and continue to cook until bottom is browned and pancake is firm, about 2 more minutes. Serve with syrup.

5 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home November 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

When I was little, my mom used to make pancakes, and she'd fix mine with bananas, peanut butter, and raisins. I wasn't a big fan of maple syrup then (although now, topping these off with syrup sounds wonderful). These pancakes take me back!

Chef Kokopelli November 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

oooooooooooooooh..............i LOVE peanut butter - i eat it straight out of the jar. the fact that i'm also a huge fan of bananas and pancakes had me drooling over your pics!

Anonymous,  November 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Great idea! I just made pb banana smoothies so pancakes are next!

Unknown November 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Glad you all like them, thanks for the kind words!

Caitlin November 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Looks great! I think I might add chocolate chips and top it off with some homemade whipped cream...does that mean I should eat these for dessert instead of breakfast ; )

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP