Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Craftsteak

As I have stated before, I'm a big fan of Top Chef. And the head judge, Tom Collichio. I have his cookbook (extremely tasty) and I identify with his simple approach to food. So OF COURSE I was going to give his new Craftsteak (located at the MGM grand in Connecticut) while on a trip to see Em's parents (side note, Connecticut continues to amaze me with good food and gorgeous weather, I love the place). We showed up for what was about to become quite an experience.

First, something that happened after the meal. While Em's father and I were walking through the bar, we saw some beer taps that we did not recognize. We asked the bar tender about them and he happily explained what they had (Harpoon and some nice local brands) and told us about a coffee stout that a local guy was making and they carried it. He then proceeded to pour us some and we talked about and how it was different and such. All this after the guy knew we had already finished our meal and were on the way out. What great service.

Now, back to the food. It's (obviously) a steak house, and it's pretty much what they do. They do have some pasta, chicken, and fish which I am sure is all tasty, but I came for meat. They provide a nice selection of grass-fed, corn-fed, and wagyu beef. Wait, what? Feedings differ? Oh, yes, dear reader, as we found out they do. The stuff you more than likely are getting in the market is corn fed. Simple as that. Craftsteak ages theirs (28 or 40 days are the options, I think) which gives a lot of beefy flavor. Grass-fed is very lean and pure in flavor. Wagyu is crazy, hand-massaged, beer fed beef. I stayed away from that (it's really good, I know, but one of them was $26/oz). I got a New York corn-fed and was extremely pleased. Others sampled were the grass fed beef, filet, and a hanger steak (a much underappreciated cut). All were delicious and cooked perfectly. I also enjoyed all of the sides we tried, such as piquillo pepper risotto, Brussels sprouts with bacon, and sautéed wild mushrooms. Without risk of talking too much, I will also say that the chocolate soufflé I had for desert was nothing short of divine.

Overall the dinner was fantastic. I appreciate the simplistic, almost rustic approach to the food, all the while maintaining meticulous detail with how everything was prepared. Nothing was too fancy, and everything tasted and melded well together. If you are in the area of one of these restaurants, I can think of very few better ways than to spend an evening meal.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

you forgot about Junior's cheescake

J

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP