Thursday, July 30, 2009

Steak Teriyaki


Having my grill back has been wonderful. I cooked steak the other night and used the leftovers today for a very tasty steak sandwich.

This is a recipe I got from Em's dad, and there is not much to it. Marinate, grill, slice, and consume. You cannot go wrong. I do recommend you use good soy sauce for this recipe as it is the main component in the marinade. I use flank steak because it's darn tasty, lean, and is a great grilling steak. Being slightly lean helps avoid any flare ups and helps aid in slicing the meat extremely thin for serving. To avoid the meat sticking to the grill I lightly oil a paper towel and wipe down the grill grates after preheating.


A few things I have learned from grilling. First, get a thermometer. It's one of the most useful tools you can imagine when grilling. Second, avoid flipping meats over and over, you will only be disrupting cooking time and letting juices out. Last, if the meat is not cooking to your desired temperature but the bottom is starting to char, move it to a cold part of the grill. I usually have a direct and indirect heat section on my grill, and it truly helps avoid disaster.

Steak Teriyaki

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup sugar (white or brown)
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 pounds flank steak

Combine ingredients for marinade and place in large zip-top baggie with steak. If the steak is two large cut with the grain into two pieces. Marinate overnight (you need to give it at least 12 hours).
Preheat your grill. Scrape down grates and grease slightly with a paper towel and canola oil. Remove steak from bag, letting excess marinade drip off, and place on grill. Cover and grill for about 8 minutes or until bottom side has nice grill marks. Flip steak and continue cooking until done, 125°F for medium rare (135°F for medium), about 8-10 more minutes. Remove from grill, let rest for 5 minutes, and slice thinly against the grain. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Anonymous,  July 31, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

That looks divine!!!

Catherine,  August 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

I had some stir fry over at your place one time, and it was awesome. Would this perhaps be the marinade for the meat?? I remembered that you said that you got the recipe from Emily's dad, so I thought that this might be it.

PS I'm catching up on posts right now. I've missed so much!

Unknown August 20, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

I think you had the spicy beef or twice cooked pork when you were over. Similar marinade. I actually like this one even more. But I will be sure to put the spicy beef one up in the near future!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP