Friday, July 10, 2009

Visiting Sweden- Part I


After recently returning from Stockholm on a fantastic trip (and my first to Europe), I wanted to share my food related experiences for anyone who enjoys that kind of thing but also for future travelers to the area. I found doing some research when picking out places to eat was the best thing to do, so I hope this aids others who go searching for a good meal. I will try not to ramble too much, as I did a lot of eating while I was there. But before I get into specifics, I want to touch on a few general bits I came across while there.

First, I ate a huge breakfast. Breakfast is big there, and our hotel (Nordic Sea) provided us with an extravaganza. Yogurts, granola, oatmeal, eggs, sausages, bacon, potatoes, meats, cheeses, fresh baked breads, and tons of fruit were available everyday that we ate. Oh my gosh, I have never had options like that. Fantastic. The cheese and bread in Sweden (and probably in most of Europe) is delicious, mainly because it's fresh and not processed. No pre-sliced loaves or small blocks of cheddar. Bread came in large nutty mounds and cheese came in huge wedges. Be still my heart.












I also enjoyed the abundance of markets (shown above is the Omstermalm Saluhall) with fresh meats, cheeses, breads, fish, and produce. How great is it that you can easily walk down the street and get fantastic fresh fish any day you like? Or for that matter, that you can find great food in department stores or fresh pastries in 7-11? It's such a stark contrast to the drive through context of our food culture, which I find is years behind what the Europeans enjoy on a daily basis. Delivery? I think the only thing you can have delivered is pizza (and that's only a few places).

On to a few specifics.
Cattelin's Restaurant, Gamla Stan- If you are looking for authentic Swedish cuisine, I recommend a stop here. The herring is fantastic, and the Swedish meatballs are mighty yummy.










Erik's Bakfickan- A famous chef by the name of Erik has a few restaurants in Stockholm, I guess this would be classified as his moderate restaurant. Em had "the best cheeseburger of her life", which I know is high praise, but it was seriously good. I had seafood casserole, which is actually more of a seafood stew. My favorite dish of the entire trip. A great place, though sadly my camera ran out of battery so there is not a picture of my dish.









Lisa Elmquist- In the Omstermalm Saluhall (the greatest food market ever, go if you get the chance). A bit overpriced for what I found to be just an alright meal. I think there are other restaurants in the food hall that offer better value.









Bla Porten
- Our first real Swedish meal did not disappoint. A no-nonsense place, their quiche is good as well as their poached salmon with dill sauce. Lunch here is something you don't want to miss.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  July 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

So, I guess you had the Swedish fish, eh?

j

Anonymous,  July 31, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad joke dad ....

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP